Breast augmentation, also known as mammoplasty, is a cosmetic surgical procedure in which breast implants are placed inside the breasts of a woman to improve their size and shape. Apart from this, mammoplasty also reconstructs the breasts after a mastectomy, an operation carried out on breast cancer patients. A few years ago, the procedure was quite costly and only the rich and famous could afford having it done on them. But it has now become more popular and affordable to ordinary women. What’s more, they get to have their breasts in their desired sizes and shapes.
The procedure involves the creation of pockets in the breasts large enough for the breast implants to fit in. The woman undergoing the surgery chooses her desired implants from a wide variety that are available in different types, shapes and sizes.
The Reasons Why Women Take the Option of Augmentation Surgery
Here are the most common reasons why women choose to undergo augmentation:
1. Appearance – The main reason why women undergo this surgery is because they want to enhance their overall appearance. Most women want good sized breasts that will enhance their beauty.
2. Reconstruction purposes – This is done mainly after a mastectomy where one or both breasts are removed. Women who have had breast cancer before choose to go for mammoplasty because they want their breasts to be reconstructed. The reconstruction procedure makes the woman’s breasts go back to their size and shape before their illness.
3. Correction purposes – There are some women who have gone through congenital illnesses and there are those who were born with asymmetrical breasts. Asymmetrical breasts are unequal in size. These can cause low self esteem and embarrassment. Undergoing this surgery helps the woman have breasts that are equal in size and eliminate the low self esteem and embarrassment.
4. Childbirth and breast feeding – After giving birth and breastfeeding, most women loose the shape of their breasts. This is caused by the sagging of the breasts and the gradual loss of the breasts tissue. Such women opt to undergo this operation to make their breasts firmer and fuller.
5. Weight loss – Women who have lost a lot of body fat or weight and their breast volume has drastically reduced choose to go the mammoplasty way to improve the shape and size of their breasts.
6. Self esteem – Women with small sized breasts may not be happy about it. This is because they may be teased and ridiculed about them. Dealing with this throughout their lives can be depressing and this is why they opt for the surgery. When they get the breasts implants, their self esteem improves drastically. Most women believe that a good size of the breasts makes them more attractive thus boosting their self confidence.
If you want to undergo breast surgery, it is advisable to choose a reliable and qualified cosmetic surgeon to perform the surgery. This is because a qualified surgeon will ensure that you are safe before, during and after the surgery. Always remember to follow the surgeon’s guidelines for better end results.